Price: 35,49€ – 70,49€
LabelChianti Classico Gran Selezione DOCG
RegionChianti Classico Region
Wine styleElegant, full, rich, velvet-smooth, savoury, austere, persistent with a pleasantly tannic taste. Well balanced.
Paired withIt is ideal with red meat, game, poultry, white meats, rich pastas and strong cheeses.
In February 2014, the new Chianti Classico pyramid with the new top tier of Gran Selezione was launched by a Consorzio Chianti Classico with a presentation in grand style in the Salone dei Cinquecento in Palazzo Vecchio. So what defines this new Chianti Classico pyramid?
Well, there are now three tiers in the Chianti Classico denomination, namely Annata, Riserva, and Chianti Classico Gran Selezione di Montemaggio. The Annata can be released on the market on October 1st following the year of the harvest, while the Riserva needs to age at least 24 months of which at least 3 months in the bottle. The Gran Selezione shall be produced with grapes from a single vineyard or with a selection of the best grapes from vineyards owned by the wine producer in question. This means that it is enough that different properties are under the same ownership even if they are in different subzones of the Chianti Classico district. Fermentation takes place in conical wood trunk vats with a controlled temperature (less than 26° C). Malolactic fermentation then undergoes in stainless steel and wooden vats. Thereafter for about 30 months, maturation takes place partially in large barrels (32 Hl) and partially in tonneaux (5 Hl) for the first and second passages.
The new three-tier system of the Consorzio Chianti Classico was brought about to enhance the overall quality and provide a top tier of the highest quality, namely Gran Selezione. The original ideas were beneficial for the consortium, though it then, as explained above, has been argued that the selection process of the yearly Gran Selezione wines is too subjective and giving rise to conflicts of interest.
It was quite difficult for us to decide how our Chianti Classico Gran Selezione di Montemaggio will be different from our Riserva, but at the end we managed to come up with a brilliant solution. The Sangiovese grapes for Gran Selezione will be sourced only from one particular vineyard – the only north-facing and Alberello grown vineyard out of the entire estate. The grapes for Riserva will be sourced from the entire estate, hence resulting in 2 completely different wines. Current vintage of Chianti Classico Gran Selezione di Montemaggio is 2012.
Note from our winemakers
Ilaria Anichini - AgronomistGrape Variety of this wine is mainly Sangiovese with a pinch of merlot . The Growing system of the vines at the estate for Sangiovese and Merlot Vines are Predominantly Spurred Cordon, Alberello and Guyot Bush systems. The the Refinement in the bottle suppose to be at least 3 months, but we usually keep it longer time in the bottle, This wine has an Intense and profound ruby red colour, tending to change colours towards granate with aging. On the nose it has An intense and elegant bouquet, mineral, spiced with the wild, leathery notes typical of the Sangiovese, enriched with a pinch of red fruit. Ideal serving temperature: 16-18°C, Preferably opened an hour beforehand.
The Chianti region
The Chianti region in Tuscany, Italy, has a rich history, a reputation that has made a dramatic roller coaster ride and, ultimately, the ability to produce incredible wines with phenomenal value.
Chianti is considered the world's first bounded wine region - a title that dates back to 1716, a time when the Republic of Florence was flourishing and had a hold on much of the wealth of Central Europe.
When the wine was first produced in Chianti, documents indicate that it was a white wine. Only in 1872 was the first mention of the modern version of Chianti wine established, with a letter indicating that Chianti had to be made with at least 70% from Sangiovese, and the other 30% from Canaiolo grapes or a white grape to soften the power of Sangiovese.
The Chianti Classico appellation has some disagreement and confusion in its origin, which ultimately has an effect on the fame of the product. The origin of Chianti Classico was born when an increasing number of producers of inferior quality began to distribute wine under the name Chianti and the boundaries of where Chianti was located became increasingly unclear.
In 1924 a group of producers came together to create the Chianti Classico Consortium in an attempt to protect the quality and heritage of the original Chianti wines. The original Chianti region - now called Chianti Classico - covers 17,640 hectares and extends from just south of Florence to just north of Siena. For reference, the entire Chianti region amounts to 177,500 acres.
The Story Behind The Label