The ancient art of winemaking hasn't changed a whole lot through the centuries, but one of the most exciting developments in recent years is the rapidly growing area of organic wine.

However how is to navigate in complex waters of confusing names and labels?

Here is a simple guide to what different organic wine labels mean, from "100% organic" to "organic," "made with organic grapes" and even "biodynamic."

USDA Organic seals mean consumer confidence and rigorous standards — but they aren't always obvious to understand.

100% Organic wine carries the USDA seal, and must be made from 100% organically grown ingredients, monitored throughout its entire production process. This wine can contain only naturally occurring sulfites (or sulfur dioxide, an antimicrobial substance) in less than 100 parts per million (ppm).

"Organic" must contain 95% organically grown ingredients (the other 5% must not be available organically).